Friday, April 2, 2010

Settled Dirt

OK, so for those of you that may or may not know, you can't let the ground settle after it has been tilled. That is why the hoe was invented. Now, I decided since I had some time that I would use the hoe to break up some of the dirt in our little garden. Dan has already done this once, and then the rain set in and it needs to be worked over again. After about 15 minutes of stabbing the ground with the hoe, all I can show for my efforts is about 1/5 of the garden with turned up soil and two very sore hands! The upside: there is only 4/5 of the plot left to work, and if I keep this up then I might actually develop some arm muscles!!! I'll admit, that is an exciting thought. Who needs a gym membership when you can just have a garden in your back yard? I don't think I have a future in landscaping, but I'll take the benefits when I can. :)

While we have not planted anything in the garden yet, we did plant the blackberry bush. It doesn't seem to have grown that much, but maybe after the next good rain that we get it will show improvement. Hopefully we will be able to plant our vegetables soon, but Dan's schedule makes that a little difficult. Plus, my class is coming to an end and the next two weekends are kind of claimed with school. I suppose if all else fails then we can plant it piece by piece whenever we get time.

The good thing is that the days are getting longer, and they are also getting warmer. Summer days will be here soon! Hurray!

Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment